Sunday, November 16, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Dallas at the Redskins today. Provided the Skins win, this will easily be one of the best days of the season. It's not every day that my second favorite team is also my favorite team. It's like rooting for your best-best friend! Despite winning their first match up and being at home, the Skins are listed as a point and half underdogs. Two big reasons for this: the first is the return of boo-boo-plagued Tony Womo (apparently, he was such a brave widdle quarterback while recovering that Jerry Jones let him have breakfast for dinner last night, yum!). The second is the rumor that Redskin workhorse Clinton Portis is out for the game. Despite what the people in Vegas say, the Redskins still have a good shot at this one. Washington's packing bona fide Dallas-slayer Santana Moss. Plus, they always seem to get much more pumped for these match ups than the Cowboys. I guess when every team hates you, rivalry games don't carry much significance. I predict that both offenses will sputter early, but while the Cowboys begin having a snit-fit and self-destructing, the Redskins will keep their composure and eventually pull it out. Your Second Favorite Team: 20, Dallas: 17.

When the game kicks off, I'll be at church ignoring the sermon so that I can focus on prayer-punching the Cowboy starters in their stomachs. I'll either catch it on DVR or at whatever restaurant we go to after the service. If the good guys pull it out, I'll spend the rest of the week happily oblivious to anything else. If not, the wifey is going to have one moody man on her hands.

The Mavs will be playing tonight too. By playing, I mean, "going through the motions while Jason Kidd searches for a Delorean to take him back to a time when he wasn't awful." A year ago, we'd have no hope of a New York Knick's win, but now there's a pretty good chance that the lamest big three in the NBA will come up short. And that would just be gravy.

Oh, and this Eagles/Bengals game? It was like watching penalty kicks taken by Stephen Hawking and Professor X. Can't they both agree that neither of them are making the playoffs this year and get to resting up for next season?

1 comment:

Karen said...

I heard it through the grapevine that Clinton Portis is totally playing. I love it when Jim Zorn takes my suggestions.